Friday, January 22, 2010

Reivew: Murder at Avedon Hill

This podcast novel is completed.

Podcast Novel or Audio Drama: This one kind of blurs that line. It’s technically a podcast novel, but there is a lot of voice acting in this, several parts played by other podiobooks.com veterans.

Title: Murder at Avedon Hill

Written by: P. G. Holyfield

I found it at: Podiobooks.com feed through iTunes

Reading/Voice Acting Quality: 4/5 – With some volume issues and some quality issues in some episodes, I couldn’t give it 5, but it was still quite good.

Overall Production Quality: 4/5 – Sometimes the ads and “story-so-far” parts bugged me, but on the whole, it was good. The intro and outro music were both very good as well.

Comments: I wasn’t sure about this story in the beginning. I love mystery and suspense though, so after hearing an ad for it on…I think it was Playing for Keeps…I decided to go and look it up. I had a slight problem in listening to it at first. We were in the process of organizing our spare bedroom/office and our PC that had all our music on it was unhooked and awaiting its setup. I downloaded it through iTunes on my iPhone and managed to get to Episode 17 when we finished. I plugged my iPhone in to sync and try to download the rest of it. Before I could finish? The desktop crashed. Meaning we had to not only fix it, but re-transfer our music and re-download all of our podcasts. Despite the fact that this is my first review, I’d already had probably a good 10 podcast novels and audio dramas. I had to download them all over again. >_< 4 days later, I’d finally managed to get all of the novel listened to. I finished it this evening and I have to say, this is one of the most interesting mysteries I’ve listened to in a long time. Not only is this a murder mystery, it’s also set in an amazing fantasy setting that it seems that Mr. Holyfield has plotted all out, but still only shows us a portion of it in this story. He created a whole pantheon of deities, the children of a father deity who can choose to live mortal lives. Plus the possibility of magic, vampires, moon beasts, and a murder of a woman called a “house mistress” where that title is a misnomer of sorts. The reader is taken down an insane spiral of twists, turns and secrets as the author reads the part of Arames Kragen and his student Arrin as they try to solve the murder of the Avedon Manor House Mistress Gretta Platt. If you don’t mind some violence, a lot of twists, and all the above-mentioned elements, this is the podcast for you! I rather enjoyed it. Overall Score: 4.5/5 – If mysteries are your thing, Add this to your list!

Author’s Website: http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

Story Website: http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/maah

Search “Murder at Avedon Hill” on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment